Saturday, April 09, 2005

Today...

So, I'm gonna try this diary thing out. Maybe no one, including myself, will ever look at it. Am I supposed to go back and look at it like it's my little locked-up, available-to-the-world diary? This blog thing sure is a humbling experience! Oh, well. I'm (Mr. VanDriessen voice) "opening my mind."

So, today at school, one of my beloved yet extremely annoying students, Tomas, knocked my overhead to the floor. Now I have to figure out what to do each day for bellwork. Maybe I'll write a thought of the day on the chalkboard or something. That class is by far--maybe not that far--my worst.

I went for a drive today. I went by the Extreme Home Makeover house on 79th and Blue Ridge, then I cruised down my FAVORITE road, or parkway, Blue River Parkway. Rolled the windows down, beautiful weather, loud music. That's one hell of a way to finish off my school day. Washed my car. Not very good at it yet. Although I realized that since I now have a new car, I've been washing it frequently. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the summer, at least, I will have washed this car more than any of my other cars put together in the past eight years of car ownership. I'm probably a little too proud of my car. Don't know why.

To all who read this: you have now been assigned the responsibility of holding me accountable for what I'm about to type. I was just thinking about how in church last week we talked about superheroes, and we were to think about some Christian superheroes. Besides Jesus. I'm reading a book called "Waking the Dead," and it talks about the importance of realizing your potential. Okay, that sounds cheesy. But about not being afraid of your potential. I guess that sounds a little better.

I remember listening to a sermon from my church in Dallas, Watermark Community, and there was this track with a black dude preaching the various attributes for about 3 or 4 minutes or so to this phat background beat. It was pretty inspiring, thinking about what Jesus was to so many different people. It was amazing that Jesus could maintain so many characteristics simultaneously that would, for people who aren't God, seem mutually exclusive. But God did it. The black guy kept saying, "That's MY Lord!" We have such a cool God!

Then I started thinking, That's us! We're little Christs, as C.S.Lewis might say. There's no way why we can't at least strive to live like that! We (those of us, at least, who've been born again) have Christ in us! We are superheroes.

That's the challenge to which I should be held accountable. What have I done today? Well, I went to work, didn't share the gospel with anyone, didn't pray (yet), barely got out of bed, idiotically kept hitting the snooze button as if I'd get some rest in eight or nine consecutive five-minute intervals, worried about getting married, went for a drive (possibly helpful, rejuvinating), practiced piano w/o necessarily glorifying God, went and had dinner and watched a movie with some friends, stayed late, and came home. Nothing too gloriously ambitious. Guilt? Not necessarily. Pressure? A little. Hope? A lot.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, Blogger Suzanne said...

"'Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerful than a locomotive, able to leap tall buildings in a single bound. It's Superman! Strange visitor from another planet, who came to earth with powers and abilities far beyond those of mortal men, and who, disguised as Clark Kent, mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, fights a never-ending battle for truth, justice and the American Way.' If that isn't popular christology, I'll eat my hat...

'The true paradigm of the ordinary American view of Jesus is Superman ... Jesus--gentle, meek and mild, but with secret, souped-up, more-than-human insides--bumbles around for thirty-three years, nearly gets himself done in for good by the Kryptonite Kross, but at the last minute, struggles into the phone booth of the Empty Tomb, changes into his Easter suit and, with a single bound, leaps back up to the planet Heaven.'"

--David Zimmerman in Comic Book Character: Unleashing the Hero in Us All

i just finished this book today. i originally purchased it because of the chapter entitled "Vengeance is Mine: Batman, the Joker & the Punisher." Jesus and Batman between the same covers--huh, huh, cool.

check out
http://ramblingadventures.blogspot.com/2005/01/review-comic-book-character.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home