Monday, April 11, 2005

I'm back

So, I guess I read it. And my friend read it, too. That's what friends are for. Thanks, Suz.

I'm sitting here in class right now watching TV. Yes, that's right--watching TV. We are one of the worst schools in the state and students watch TV during class.

Hey...education! Don't even get me started on education. Is it just me or has education become salvation for a lot of families? One of the newer parts of the American dream, maybe?

I had a LONG, heated conversation about it with a friend who, I imagine, wants to get a Ph.D. in education. He was convinced that a college degree was about the only way someone could get a job or any sort of "self esteem," which I like to call "arrogance for the sake of arrogance." My idea on this is that you don't need to be a genius to Git-R-Done, although, unfortunately, I'm not sure if getting-r-done is what these smarter-than-thou people have in mind. I think they demand that education is imperative for the pursuit of happiness or whatever else their ideal may be.

How did sin enter the world? Wasn't it Eve eating an apple from the tree? What was the name of the tree? Wasn't it "The Tree of the KNOWLEDGE of Good and Evil"? And aren't people doing the same thing today, holding up knowledge higher than virtue? Sacrificing relationships for achievement?

Okay, I better start teaching my class. Is it okay for a teacher to have this attitude?

1 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Blogger Suzanne said...

man, you are a teacher. i got my lecture today! :)

so you're surfing the net while your class watches tv? i wanna goe to schul thar.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home