Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Huh?

I was driving behind a guy who had a bumper sticker that read, "Terrorism is not the problem--it's a symptom." He had another one that read, "If you don't believe in abortion, don't have one!"

(Needless to say--which is why I'm saying it, albeit in parentheses--after taking a look at the driver, it didn't look like someone I would want my daughter to marry. Although I guess that would be profiling. And that's not nice. Er...)

What is that B. S. (bumper sticker) supposed to mean? And I'm assuming that he's not implying that Islamic Fascism is the disease. Maybe he's that (former?) Colorado professor who was claiming that America is to blame for 9/11. Anyway, this guy, as well as the Colorado guy, seems to have derived his philosophy from Osama. And if not, he at least agrees with him on a very foundational belief on the state of society as it currently exists and how it should exist. My question is: Why do people consider any philosophy that's even remotely close to Osama's to be valid? He wants to convert the world to Islam through force! He wants to kill America. Not just the country, but the people. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US!

Many Christians and Muslims want the world to worship who they do. For instance: Bible-believing Christians believe that Jesus is the only way to heaven. So if they believe this, they should want to convert the world. Otherwise, that means that they don't care if the rest of the world goes to hell. Literally.

(One might say, "Yes, but why do you push your beliefs on everyone else?" to which I would respond, "Why are you pushing your belief on me that I shouldn't push my belief on you?")

BUT, to my knowledge, most of these Christians and Muslims do not go about this with force. Perhaps with strong encouragement, but not with force. Yes--Christians and Muslims may participate in heated conversations about this subject, but I know of no reasonable evangelist who practices force. For those of you who do, remember: It is not wise to judge a philosophy by its abuse.

And with regards to the abortion B. S. (again--bumper sticker), good point! I don't believe in abortion, so I won't have one! Oh--I get it. He's trying to get us to keep quiet about our beliefs. He's saying, "Don't have an abortion, and while you're at it, shut up!" American soldiers are fighting for the freedom that he has to make statements such as these, and he gets to decide who and who doesn't deserve that freedom. Maybe that's why he has more of a problem with America than with Islamic Fascism--he's a fascist himself. How dare someone like me have both a point of view AND a voice!

Or, maybe his philosophy is "Live and let live," which seems to be the new trend. He should know, however, that some things, like life and liberty, are worth promoting. Some things are even worth dying for--particularly those things that protect our lives and our freedom.

Even with this guy--I commend him for sharing HIS thoughts, though I hope they are founded on something more than some fleeting philosophy or emotion--something more than just a fascination with a little research to it. I hope he seriously considers his beliefs, whether they come from prudence or popularity, from selfishness or from sacrifice.

3 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Chris & Alicia said...

tru dat, a.nice.prude!

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger Aubrey said...

I currently have no tolerance at all for anybody's opinions on anything that isn't imminently effecting the future of mankind, or isn't completely superfluous. I only want to see bumper stickers about the environment, about peace, and the occasional one about an honors student getting beaten up.

Be at war with your vices, at peace with your neighbors, and let every new year find you a better man.

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Rev. Donald Spitz said...

"don't believe in abortion , don't have one" is that like, don't believe in shooting babykilling abortionists don't shoot one?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home